[Dev] recent parabola changes to 'pacman'

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Sun Apr 24 21:41:16 GMT 2022

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022 23:19:19 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> wrote:
> the first item is to remove the dependency on
> 'archlinux32-keyring' - that package has been particularly
> troublesome over the years. - a recurring source of installation
> bug reports - it is needed only for a few packages
> ('pcmciautils' is the only one that i know of)
Should we also build all these keyring packages?

If you don't keep your system up to date enough the keyring becomes
impossible to upgrade safely. You end up needing the new keyring
package to install the new keyring package as upstream changed keys
somehow and that the transition package is gone.

Not keeping system up to date can easily happen with computers that you
stop using (like single board computers) and that you use again to do
tests for instance.

> the second item i would like to discuss is regarding this change
> (not yet built):
>
> https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/commit/?id=2c1ed4889d421b96887fffe2a4945a26bdc21733
>
> the log message is very detailed, so i wont repeat it - i think
> this should be handled differently - although 'auto' is not
> relevant to parabola at this time, it may be in the future - an
> alternate implementation which would satisfy GNUtoo's concern,
> is to make the change to the /usr/share/ files using sed in the
> PKGBUILD, leaving 'auto' in the installed /etc/pacman.conf
>
> https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/commit/?id=aa6da95c797fc1e208b5d6e79f7c7645132a3989
Apparently my commit message wasn't complete enough: I only talked
about pacstrap, but using arch-chroot to chroot into a 32bit
installation from a computer running a 64bit kernel and running
'pacman -Syu' inside also results in pacman trying to download
and install 64bit packages (and failing).

As I see it, if we have some auto-detection, if it is done at the
installation time (and not each time we run pacman) and that the
detection result is then hardcoded pacman.conf, it would probably
make both auto-detection and chroot/pacstrap work.

This way chrooting will always work consistently and users won't have
mixes of different architectures.

Users wanting to upgrade from an architecture to another one will then
have to do the switch manually.

Before, switching from 64bit to 32bit was not officially supported by
Arch, so it's not a bad idea to have things like that be a conscious
choice of users.

Denis.