[Dev] Resources, was: some concerns from the community

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Mon Oct 18 16:50:56 GMT 2021

On Mon, 18 Oct 2021 11:15:47 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> wrote:

> there just needs to be more people helping libre software projects,
> in general
We probably need to find ways to fund people[1] to work and maintain
FSDG compliant GNU/Linux distributions like Parabola.

In Replicant we made a paid call for a community manager, and even if
we didn't advertise it in order to only get people that are already
part of the community, we got many people that shown up, and it even
reached people from outside the Replicant community, and at least one
of them still tried really hard to apply despite being too late. And
that work was even part time and not for a lot of hours.

We would probably have had 0 responses at all if that work wasn't being
funded.

And I think that resources in general is a problem that we need to
solve for people working toward advancing free software because just
trying to convince new people often doesn't work if most people don't
have time to spend on fixing the issue.

And unfortunately this also applies to this mail. Without any actions
it won't go anywhere, and personally I'm already way behind schedule on
Replicant, including on this very topic, so I will probably not being
able to help much, and I won't certainly not be able to work toward
being able to fund someone (Bill Auger?) alone.

And the issue here is that we also badly need people to fix freedom
issues as well.