[Dev] parabola GNU/Linux-libre on Risc-V and OpenPower

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Fri Apr 9 15:06:31 GMT 2021

Haha, you're touching a sore point there, because I don't have
(physical) access to ppc and riscV hardware either. All the work has
been done in virtualization.

This is also currently the largest problem limiting progress on this
project, because compiling packages in emulated systems takes a lot
longer than on real hardware.

That being said, I believe that, on both architectures, parabola would
boot in its current state. You would need to mount the image locally and
extract the root file system to the real device, and then figure out how
to build and set up a working boot loader. This is something I could not
test yet, so I'm still a bit fuzzy about that. But the pieces are in
place.

I'm hoping for someone with real hardware to test the images, but so far
nobody has come forward :)

Best,
Andreas