[Dev] [RFC] Let's solve the Chromium freedom issues, definitively

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Sun May 31 05:25:02 GMT 2020

On Fri, 29 May 2020 22:06:46 -0400
Megver83 <megver83 at hyperbola.info> wrote:

> I get your point, and I understand it completely. For many (most?)
> cases, the "use IceCat instead of Chromium" solution works. However,
> I've encountered myself webpages that refuse to work with anything
> that isn't Chrome (not pages that I use, but that some ppl of my
> family, e.g. for business or working in projects) or some web
> platforms optimized for Chromium (e.g. Jitsi, although it works in FF
> and derivatives, but not completely well). Sometimes changing the
> user agent works, but not always.
It might be possible to work with various upstream projects to fix that
if needed.

As I understand the issue, if we end up being obligated to rely on
Chromium to get more and more things working, it would would mean that
we would be accepting Google's design decisions, and patching around
them would probably require a (constant) amount of work that is way
bigger than the constant amount of work that would be needed to fix
Gecko based browsers.

We have several ways to fix things:
* We could make sure that upstream free software projects like Jitsi
  Meet, and various other web based applications keep working with Gecko
  based browsers just by sending patches to fix that.
* We could fix Firefox and get the fix in Icecat in the next release.
  I've no idea how hard this is though.

Denis.