[Dev] [RFC] Let's solve the Chromium freedom issues, definitively

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Sat May 30 03:31:29 GMT 2020

El 29-05-20 a las 23:03, bill-auger escribió:
> On Fri, 29 May 2020 22:06:46 -0400 Megver83 wrote:
>> I've encountered myself webpages that refuse
>> to work with anything that isn't Chrome
>
> i would not consider that to be our problem - that is a problem
> for those websites to address - if they do not want firefox
> users to use their website, then firefox users should not use
> their website - problem solved :)

Not my problem too. I agree, in fact, just wanted to make a point. Not
really such a big deal anyways.

> On Fri, 29 May 2020 22:06:46 -0400 Megver83 wrote:
>> Plus, that would help
>> PureOS too, and they could help us.
>> Parabola (if they want to join)
>
> why do you presume that? - pureos already has chromium and
> webengine in their repos - so liberating these programs would
> not help puroes - and it is hard to imagine people wanting to
> spend time on such a massive effort, which they do not believe
> is solving any problem at all

do they suffer from a freedom issue then? because if they did like us,
they would at least filter it for prevention. Idk their criteria nor
Debian's Chromium (just that they apply like thousands of patches to
it), so I will ask them for details about how did they handle it (I was
reading some issues in their issue tracker, but they didn't have much info).

> i think you would first need to convince them, that it is a good
> idea to help the FSDG work-group reach a satisfying formal
> recommendation - that would go a long way toward restoring the
> credibility of the work-group - i sincerely wish that you could
> - i would like to see that problem resolved much much more than
> i care about chromium or webengine

So then let's do it. Patience is a virtue :P

P.S: I'm cloning chromium from git, to explore its source. It's heavy as
hell!!! (16GB)