[Dev] [RFC] Let's solve the Chromium freedom issues, definitively

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Sat May 30 02:06:46 GMT 2020

I get your point, and I understand it completely. For many (most?)
cases, the "use IceCat instead of Chromium" solution works. However,
I've encountered myself webpages that refuse to work with anything that
isn't Chrome (not pages that I use, but that some ppl of my family, e.g.
for business or working in projects) or some web platforms optimized for
Chromium (e.g. Jitsi, although it works in FF and derivatives, but not
completely well). Sometimes changing the user agent works, but not always.

I know this is a bit recherche, but it happens. Now, what you say about
electron, I completely agree. Just let it die. Regarding qt5-webengine,
I agree too, it's a smaller codebase and by liberating it we would
unblacklist hundreds of packages and solve many broken dependencies.
Plus, that would help PureOS too, and they could help us. Maybe we do
not need all the world's help, but we could do this a common effort
between Parabola, qt5-webengine devs and PureOS (if they want to join)

I liked this idea^ :)