[Dev] new plan for managing 'icu' and 'poppler' dependent packages

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed May 6 03:20:19 GMT 2020

On 5/5/20 11:03 PM, Megver83 wrote:
> whenever icu upgrades, and iceweasel and friends break because of the
> need of the previous version (and even some Arch pkgs, which don't
> specify a version, just break), I install it from the AUR (e.g. the last
> time I installed icu65, added icu=65 in "provides", and everything went
> flawless)
>
> idk if instead of making an icu-parabola pkg we better make a icuXX
> (with "XX" being the previous version) for each needed version, although
> I assume you want to do sth. similar with icu-parabola

I sort of suggested that, actually, but bill-auger suggested

12:18 PM <bill-auger> its a hassle to maintain if the package name
always changes though

Since I didn't want to decide for you all whether you want a series of
icu$ver or a rolling icu-parabola package, I just helped advise GNUtoo
and bill-auger into getting this method off the ground.

With this package, I believe the intent would be to just upgrade
icu-parabola whenever the icu package updates. Instead of providing
icu65, it will use makepkg's automatic find_libprovides functionality:
the PKGBUILDs specify matching provides/depends of "libicui18n.so" and
the final package contains libicui18n.so=65-64 or libicui18n.so=65-32
(soname-elfclass).

It should be more or less the same end-user experience as an icu65
package, I guess. With the addition of libprovides to ensure automatic
version dependencies.

--
Eli Schwartz
Arch Linux Bug Wrangler and Trusted User