[Dev] Submitting patches

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Mon Mar 9 21:30:57 GMT 2020

On Mon, Mar 09, 2020 at 09:57:10PM +0100, theova wrote:
> Hello
>
> For me, Parabola is a great platform to learn how to build packages and
> how to contribute to a free software project.
>
> Submitting patches is a central part in this process. Receiving feedback
> teaches you a lot and seeing your changes applied is a big motivation.
>
> However, the absence of feedback and/or acceptance may damp the
> enthusiasm.
>
> I don't want to point at anybody to say that they is obliged to give
> this feedback. It is a question for the Parabola community to discuss:
> How can we stimulate contribution?
>
> Do we need more documentation on how to involve contributors? Do we need
> technical tools (special mailing list, an open branch on git, a
> web interface, ...)?
>
> As one of the newer contributors, I see it as my possibility to give an
> honest feedback to bring this process a step further.
>
> Thank you for all the work you are doing for Parabola.

Oh trust me your patches are appreciated. Part of the problem causing the lack
of feedback is that the already small pool of Devs took a bit of a hit recently
when I had to step back a fair bit due to ongoing health concerns. I suspect
that this has created a bit of a vacuum and left the others scrambling a bit.

I tend to keep patches in my inbox for when I have time. They are also archived
on the mailing list server. So they wont be forgotten about. The problem is
basically not having the person power to hop on them as quickly as I'm sure me
and the other Devs would really like to in a perfect world. This goes for the
great patches from grizzlyuser also.