[Dev] Orphan Pcr package [gajim-plugin-omemo] marked out-of-date

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Sun Jul 26 19:44:46 GMT 2020

that is one of the main reasons why plugins are packaged
separately though - if that program allows searching and
downloading plugins from the internet, it falls under the
category of a third-party package manager, and most of
those are dubious WRT FSDG-fitness

unless that program only lists free software, then it is likely
that someone will eventually post a freedom bug report, to
remove the entire download feature - which means we may need to
re-package gajim, and some of its its popular plugins too

there is a long discussion about TPPMs, and many related issues,
and proposals for how to handle them - it seems that gajim needs
to be added to that ticket as another one to investigate

https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1035

we should be moving in the direction of filtering or avoiding
third-party package managers, rather than encouraging people to
use them - what we have found so far, is that filtering is either
very difficult or impossible to do automatically, because very
few TPPMs indicate licenses or have any policies about what is
allowed in the repo - with the exception of haskell and guix,
which have stricter guidelines than the others, it would be
better to discourage their use as much as possible