[Dev] [libretools - Feature Request #2403] [libremakepkg]: eradicate mksource() from abslibre

labs at parabola.nu labs at parabola.nu
Mon Sep 9 16:06:04 GMT 2019

Issue #2403 has been updated by bill-auger.

freemor wrote:

> Going the other way would require us to strip steps out of
> prepare to move them into mksource() for every package we
> build.

well not every package; but every one that replaces something in
arch - the parity with the arch PKGBUILDs could still be
maintained that way - only the "librefication" commands would
need to be in mksource() - doing so could actually make the
diffs cleaner than they are now

freemor wrote:
> Since we probably don't want to re-write makepkg, the
> problem with this is we then have a clean source that the
> PKGBUILD may fail to build

yea thats my thinking - any changes from the current workflow
would entail some modification to makepkg - at least we
understand now why mksource() exists - it just was not fully
utilized for every package; probably because it is such a huge
take

freemor wrote:
> People coming from Arch are going to be confused if the usual
> pull the PKGBUILD, run makepkg approach fails.

makepkg would not fail with the current workflow because the
cleaned tarballs are published at the location where the PKGBUILD
expects them to be - as i understand, the mksource() function
only runs if that tarball is not found on the server

freemor wrote:
> Trying to debug from pre-cleaned
> sources could be problematic too

thats certainly true; but simply changing the URL of the
expected cleaned source-ball in the sources array would force
mksource() to run again - AFAIK the newly generated source-ball
only gets published upon librerelease

freemor wrote:
>    a.) complicate things.
>    b.) kick the unclean source further down the road.

i dont think mksource+librefetch: would be "complicated" - it
would just be a shit-ton of work to sort the librefication
commands out of prepare() and into mksource() for every libre
package; but presumably the tools already have that
functionality to handle it

what would be complex is modifying makepkg to create the tarball
after prepare() has run, and to skip over prepare() if
pre-cleaned source-balls are detected - if we were writing
makepkg from scratch, i think that would be most reasonable from
the engineering perspective; but it is a significant deviation
from arch; but going to be the case no matter how this is done

approach B would surely be less work; but that is a deviation
from the arch tools also - approach A has the added advantage of
making the diffs against arch much cleaner for evermore into the
future

if librefetch does its magic transparently, without manual
steps, it probably is the best approach as a long-term investment

* the deviation from arch is constrained to libretools
* the tooling already exists and is working well for hyperbola
* cleaner diffs
* users who run libremakepkg on versions ahead of parabola will
get a cleaned tarball

Feature Request #2403: [libremakepkg]: eradicate mksource() from abslibre
https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/2403#change-12952