[Dev] Packages with PDF files embedding non-free fonts

grizzlyuser grizzlyuser at protonmail.com
Tue Oct 29 21:02:40 GMT 2019

I noticed a few non-blacklisted packages that contain PDF files with embedded non-free fonts. As FSDG applies to fonts too [1], I'd like to start (or continue some old) discussion about the issue and ways to resolve it.

For example, FontForge can be used to find embedded fonts in PDF file in question. Open the file and select a font from the list if there are a few of them, then go to Element - Font Info. There's a Copyright field, and also TTF Names section where License string may be available (with full text on click on the string).

Using the above method I found that packages libreoffice-fresh, ghostscript, and fontforge itself appear to have non-free fonts embedded in their PDF files. It's not clear if there are other affected packages, but it looks quite likely.

In case of libreoffice-fresh, Times New Roman font is embedded. Path to PDF file, and license text from the embedded font can be found in the attachment.

If this is a valid issue, then it looks like it affects other FSF-approved distro(s). I did a quick check of LibreOffice PDF in Trisquel, and was able to find that font too.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.en.html#license-rules