[Dev] ParabolaWiki installation guide

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Tue Nov 26 21:23:37 GMT 2019

On Tue, 26 Nov 2019 18:06:08 -0300
anarcobuda <anarcobuda at disroot.org> wrote:

> i've been doing some work on our wiki, mainly the installation guide,
> to improve readability and to update some information
>
> we ascribe to the 'arch way', since we use basically an arch-based
> system, and there's no reason why our installation guide should be
> different than the archwiki's one.
Here some of the differences I saw:
- On ARM we don't provide device specific installation procedure.
  Instead the installation procedure is more generic.
- I'm unsure if Arch also has graphical installation.

> 1. do a step-by-step guide for openrc and another for systemd
> this would mean there would be a main page for pre-installation and
> two pages for installation, one for openrc and another for systemd.
> this seems to be the easiest to do, since it only requires two extra
> pages
This requires more maintenance but it's probably easier for users.

> 2. do a step-by-step guide for both, in one page with the help of
> links this would mean one page that would branch out on other pages
> for instance, a page section that says "configure your network" and
> it'd link to another page that details how to configure your network
> for openrc and systemd in different sections
> this seems more work-consuming, but it'd be neater
This requires less maintenance but is a bit harder for users.

Personally I've been working in Replicant to switch from the first
option to the second one as one page per device was too much.

I didn't find any ideal solution yet, as better technical solutions do
exist, such as generating a page specific to the user use case without
repeating the content, but that typically makes it harder for users to
contribute to the instructions. Though it can produce better quality
instructions if people send patches to be reviewed on a mailing list.

It's probably also possible to do it in Mediawiki through templates but
again that also makes it harder to contribute to the wiki.

So the solution probably depends on who wants to contribute and if
contributors can manage to maintain 2 or more versions of the same text.

Denis.