[Dev] Creating a neutered geoclue for [nonprism]

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Mon Nov 18 02:29:39 GMT 2019

Because privacy is important to me I try to keep my fingers into the [nonprism]
pot. In doing that I'm noticing another qt-webengine situation starting to
unfold. Which is the ever creeping inclusion of geoclue into different
projects.

Tho it can be disabled by killing the systemd or initd service that run it. I
strongly feel creating a neutered version that either fails to return any
location (preferable) or returns a benign location (like south pole, Middle of
the Pacific Ocean, etc) is preferable as it would

1.) Give a safe drop in replacement. (Won't rat you out even if it is
    accidentally enabled).

2.) Sends a clear message showing that we think the default behaviour is broken
    and requires fixing.

3.) Doing the work to create a build recipe for a neutered geoclue will server
    to show people that such is possible. And also serve to make it easier for
    other RYF distros to benefit from our (by which I mean mostly my, unless
    other feel heavily motivated to join in) work on neutering it.

There are Several build flags that can be tweaked to disable functionality. This
is where I plan to start also creating a custom geoclue.conf. And then if
necessary patching the source kill any remaining leaks. Basically do what ever
we can to turn geoclue into the "location service" equiv of /bin/false.

I've already started on the PKGBUILD with every relevant build flag set to
false. I'll build that and do some testing. Then take a look at creating the
custom geoclue.conf

Regards,
Freemmor

Ps Because this failed to send the first time I now have a version of geoclue
that seems to fail spectacularly at finding any location.

More Testing needed