[Dev] Let's talk about Infrastructure and Hosting

Vikings GmbH hello at vikings.net
Sun Nov 17 08:26:28 GMT 2019

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 01:26:19 +0100
Andreas Grapentin <andreas at grapentin.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it's been almost two weeks since the first announcement was made, and
> I believe we have now a good understanding of our infrastructure and
> our hosting needs, and are ready to move forward.
>
> We have discussed internally, and have come to the conclusion that a
> good course of action could be to keep winston running, but start
> migrating some of the essential services off it one by one,
> streamlining their deplopment in the process.
>
> To get started, we are currently looking at getting a single VPS, with
> specs comparable to, or slightly improved upon, the specs of winston
> itself.
>
> Winston currently has:
>
>  - (nominally) about 4GiB of RAM.
>
>    we believe that 4GiB is currently the lower bound of what our
>    services need to function. Winston is currently struggling with
> RAM, but this seems to be mainly because he's not having the nominal
>    amount actually available for use.
>
>    To get some room to breathe, we're hoping for an upgrade here
> towards the region of 6 or 8GiB of ram, mainly to make sure the
> machine doesn't need to swap as much as it does now.
>
>  - 4 QEMU virtual CPUS @ 2.2GhZ
>
>    winston is never really computationally busy. iirc, vikings is
>    allowing only for 1 CPU VPS's (please correct me if I'm wrong) so

Wrong :) Vikings can do anything between 1 and 32 CPUs. When we say
"CPU" we refer to the physical core and not some over-subscribed,
mass-hosting shenanigans.

--
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Cordialement/Met vriendelijke groet
The Vikings Team

Web: https://www.vikings.net/
Store: https://store.vikings.net/
Phone: +49 69 247 54 91 0
Fax: +49 69 247 50 339

Follow us on Mastodon: https://social.vikings.net/@vikings
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/vikingslibre

Vikings GmbH
Sauerackerweg 14, 60529 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
Register Court: AG Frankfurt am Main
Register No.: HR B 84497, CEO: Thomas Umbach
Tax Office: Frankfurt am Main, VATIN: DE254094338

GPG key fingerprint: FD5E 2543 EE62 7395 00A6 9FBB F228 7A48 7CA2 3FA5