[Dev] arch replaced the 'base' package group with a leaner 'base' meta-package

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Tue Nov 12 02:48:16 GMT 2019

El lun, 11-11-2019 a las 21:32 -0500, bill-auger escribió:
> re:
> <oaken-source> why are we discussing adding a base-extra
> metapackage / group? Isn't that something upstream should be
> doing?
>
> i think they are discussing it - my reason to propose it now is
> that currently, `pacstrap base` no longer installs a working
> system - even if we fix the init-system conflicts, one still must
> `pacstrap base linux-libre` at the bare minimum to get a working
> system (and a boot-loader too) - in order to get an equivalent
> system as what the base group once installed, that pacstrap
> command would need to include all of the packages in my previous
> post
>
> if thats the way it is going to be then the documentation could
> be updated; but it would be quite ugly indeed - my interest is
> raising this topic now, is that i also need to add that mess to
> calamares and parabolaiso; and if this is a temporary situation
> (if arch does add a 'base-extras' package), then i will need to
> revert that anyways - so much simpler to add a 'base-extras'
> package now - it would be a harmless optional thing, so i dont
> see any reason not to do it - even if it helps only the
> installers - the thing to discuss is what packages should go in
> it
>
> probably a better name would be 'parabola-full' or something
> similar - i would also like to add a 'parabola-desktop' for the
> same reason - as it is now, i am maintaining the package lists
> for the installers in three different places; which is kinda
> tedious to manage - those are: the package lists for what goes
> on the various live systems, the package lists for the ncurses
> installers, and the package lists for calamares - it would be
> very good to consolidate those; and a good way to manage that is
> with meta-packages + 'provides'

I would wait to see what upstream does, but things like parabola-
desktop (which Arch isn't likely to get sth. like that) could be added
without problem. I saw some archiso commits and they had to update
their package lists because of this new base metapackage thing, so
maybe base-extras would not kill anyone, I feel like this new adoption
of base metapkg with less pkgs that the ex base group gives users more
flexibility in terms of which pkgs they want to install. For example,
nano was in base group, but what about ppl who doesn't use it? it
doesn't really belong to a very base installation, and here is my
favorite part: you want it? then install it yourself, and that's the
Arch philosophy, *do it yourself*