[Dev] Chromebook C201 wifi

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Sun Mar 31 02:58:34 GMT 2019

On Sat, 30 Mar 2019 17:21:54 -0400 Lee wrote:
> there is no viable option for wifi, then it's going to significantly
> limit its usefulness for a 100% free distro.

i can not resist pointing out that, the only limitation you are
considering is wireless networking; and if that computer has a USB
port, then you have options for enabling that usage with 100% free
software - even if your only option was to use a different kernel (it
probably is not), that still would not prevent you from running
the rest of the parabola system - that statement is biased from a
viewpoint of person who uses their computer mainly for web surfing -
that may be what most people use computers for, but it is far from the
"limit" of what computers can do - for comparison, if you asked me, my
view would be that most of the most useful uses of a computer do not
require the internet or any networking; and that a laptop would never
be any more essential than an optional luxury item in addition to my
main desktop computer

to the point of your concern, if you got a USB wifi thing-a-mo-bob from
think-penguin, and it does not work with parabola, then we should find
out why - keep in mind that support for that computer is quite new and
you may be the first person who tried that particular hardware
combination - you may need to work closely with megver in order to get
it working

why did you send email BTW? - megver has been using that bug report
on the bug tracker as something of a central discussion thread for the
C201 - if the answer you are looking for is not there now, it is not
anywhere yet