[Dev] repo redirector modificatoins

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Wed Jun 12 09:06:18 GMT 2019

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 07:09:10AM +0000, grizzlyuser wrote:
> Please excuse me if I miss the point, but instead of using the redirector, can't pacman logic be modified to solve the problem the redirector tries to solve?
> For example, to have the second mirrorlist exclusively for fallback Arch Linux mirrors, so the user can choose which of them to fall back? Or maybe some other smarter change?

We could in theory modify pacman to add arbitrary logic, that is true,
but this is a route I would be hesitant to take.

We take pacman from upstream arch and only modify it slightly for
parabola. (Looking at the PKGBUILD, we already do modify it much more
that I would like.) Which means any added functionality would have to be
maintained as a set of patches, or in a forked repository. Updating
these patches or the fork for a new version of pacman is a lot of work,
and prone to errors and conflicts, so I would expect it would make it
considerably harder for us to react to upstream updates.

This can work, but I think if there is any other way to do it, that
would probably be preferable :)

Come to think of it, there already *is* another way that works with an
unmodified pacman. pacman does not mandate that all repos use a single
mirror list. You could configure a system that has a list of arch
mirrors in mirrorlist.arch and a set of parabola mirrors in
mirrorlist.parabola, and then choose the appropriate mirror list in the
`Include' directive in pacman.conf for the respective repository.

So with this in mind, we could drop arch mirrors from the redirector,
and write a wiki page explaining how one could go about using arch
mirrors for core/extra/community packages, for the probably very limited
set of our users for whom this would be beneficial.

Best,
-oak

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key