[Dev] repo redirector modificatoins

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Tue Jun 11 19:51:32 GMT 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 03:40:26PM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> understood - we do have that information
>
> https://www.parabola.nu/mirrors/
>
> it looks like north america, europ, and asia are covered
> sufficiently - the out-lying areas being south america, africa,
> middle-east, and australia - but keep in mind that the
> arch-bound redirector does not have any logic in it now - it
> simply selects one of a fixed set of ten indiscriminately; and
> im not sure if geographic diversity was ever considered as a
> criteria for being place into that set - those more distant
> locations may not be served optimally with the current redirector
> either

Well, arch is pretty good at providing information about their current
mirror status. We could choose to make the arch-bound portion of the
redirector smarter, and also make the redirector smarter to make sure
arch mirrors are only used when needed.

I'm sure we could draft up a quick sketch for an appropriate heuristic
in a couple of man-hours.

Best,
-oak

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key