[Dev] repo redirector modificatoins

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Tue Jun 11 19:30:44 GMT 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 02:46:46PM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 20:39:19 +0200 Andreas wrote:
> > stop redirecting to arch mirrors, but only if we can make sure
> > to provide proper global coverage.
>
> i dont see any sacrifice in dropping arch mirrors - arch mirrors
> do not contain any parabola packages; so even now, parabola
> packages can only be acquired from one of the existing parabola
> mirrors

The sacrifice is bandwidth, and by extension time. If I pacstrap from a
remote location, that happens to have an arch mirror nearby and a
parabola mirror far away, then I can speed up the process a lot by using
the arch mirror for the bulk of the packages that come from upstream.

Checking the installed sizes of packages on my system gives:

  7800 MiB for core/extra/community
  2900 MiB for libce/pcr

Assuming equal update frequencies for arch and parabola, which is pretty
generous for the sake of this argument, that is still ~70% of transfers
that can be considerably sped up by having an arch mirror with a better
bandwidth than the nearest parabola mirror.

Best,
-oak

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key