[Dev] repo redirector modificatoins

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Tue Jun 11 18:39:19 GMT 2019

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 01:41:03PM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> the first concern was regarding which mirrors to use - the
> parabola mirror pool is healthier than ever now and it would
> probably improve the user-experience to stop redirecting to
> any arch mirrors and always redirect to a parabola mirror - the
> arch mirrors are frequently out-of-sync and return 404 - also, in
> my experience most of the arch mirrors that we use are slower
> than the parabola mirrors

Is this the case for all regions? I'm happy we talk about improving the
repomirror, and I agree that it might be time to stop redirecting to
arch mirrors, but only if we can make sure to provide proper global
coverage.

I'd of course happily volunteer to use the repomirror in the future and
help fix any issues that crop up.

> the second concern stems from that discussion - it was suggested
> that we could ping each mirror with a HEAD request to
> determine whether a specific packages exists before actually
> redirecting the user to it - as i remember, lukeshu explained
> that this problem only existed for the arch mirrors due to the
> crude and blind way that they are selected; but that the -
> redirector for parabola mirrors was introspective and was
> unlikely to ever result in a 404

That sounds like a lot of extra work for something that could just be
gone by implementing the change proposed above. I think we should keep
this option in mind, but postpone it for now, and see if we still need
it. Of course, if we come to the conclusion that we are not yet able to
drop the arch mirrors, we can consider this as an alternative way to
make the repomirror more reliable.

Best,
oak

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key