[Dev] Chromebook C201 eMMC

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at cyberdimension.org
Tue Jan 29 15:07:48 GMT 2019

On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 19:11:00 +0100
dfstorm <dfstorm at riseup.net> wrote:

> 3- Flash the BIOS for something that allow what you want (personally
> I use the one from johnlewis [https://johnlewis.ie/] )
As I understand both Libreboot[1] and Paper[2] should support the C201.
They both:
- should allow the user to more easily install what they whish, by
  deactivating some the security features.
- should be FSDG compliant.

Paper should also have more support for ARM devices than Libreboot, but
last time I checked, x86 support was not yet completed. There is some
work in progress in a branch though.

I planned to continue that work by adding x86 qemu support, then
adding the i945 Thinkpads, and then the GM45 Thinkpads after working to
add support for generating the flash descriptor in Coreboot, but I
didn't find the time to work on any of that yet.

> 2- Disable "memory lock" (most of the chromebook partitions are "read
> only")
I've no idea what this is. Once the boot software is reflashed, what is
the installation procedure?

Do you need to flash the distribution kernel as well? Or can it boot
directly from an installer and/or the eMMC?

If so, how do you handle kernel updates? and do you choose between
multiple kernels?