[Dev] Chromebook C201 wifi

Lee Strobel leestrobel at disroot.org
Fri Apr 5 00:27:28 GMT 2019

Hey, so I received that USB tester in the mail today. Got some
interesting results:

First, I tried the older Ralink wifi dongle (the one that works). When
connected, it seems to operate at around 110-120mA. Very rarely it went
up to around 160. So, that is quite a bit lower than the 450mA max
power that was reported by 'lsusb'.

I then unplugged that and plugged in my phone charger. That was able to
draw around 500mA (which is the spec for a USB 2.0 port).

I then tried the ThinkPenguin Atheros dongle. It was at about 70mA when
connected, but experienced the same freezing issue as when plugged
directly in to the Chromebook port. I tried it in my desktop and it
works fine on that, both direct and going through the USB tester. No
sign of the freezing issue. On the desktop, I think the max current I
saw was around 90mA.

So, clearly the issue is not a power limitation, as the Chromebook port
can deliver the full 500mA. My best guess is that it is some sort of
compatibilty bug between the dongle and the particular USB hub that the
Chromebook uses.

Regards,

Lee