[Dev] Chromebook C201 wifi

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Mon Apr 1 07:35:38 GMT 2019

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 19:52:39 +0200 Denis wrote:

i think a consolidated hardware advice page is a good idea - there is
already a wiki category ([[Category:Hardware]]) that could be
expanded[1] - there is also already a wiki page for listing specific
coputer models that are known to be compatible, though it also needs
expanding[2] - there is also a wiki page about wifi cards[3], and
several about graphics cards[4][5][6] categorized as ([[Category:
Graphics]])[7]

[1]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/Category:Hardware
[2]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/List_of_hardware_support
[3]:
https://wiki.parabola.nu/WiFi_devices_known_to_work_with_Parabola_GNU/Linux-libre
[4]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/Nouveau
[5]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/ATI
[6]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/Intel
[7]: https://wiki.parabola.nu/Category:Graphics

so it would just be a matter of making a top-level hardware overview
advice particle, consolidating access to the existing articles, and then
updating and expanding on those in place

On Sun, 31 Mar 2019 19:52:39 +0200 Denis wrote:
> Some time ago, I also started working on a Libreboot compatible laptop
> comparison[1] to help advanced users chose the laptops that best suit
> them,

FWIW, id say that libreboot constraint is over-shooting the "sweet-spot"
somewhat - the set of machines that can boot libreboot is pitifully
small - it would be more helpful to broaden the scope to all portable
computers that can run parabola-out-of-the-box, perhaps with a special
section for those that can also boot free boot-ware; but not to pretend
that this is not already a catalog of legacy - looking forward, it
would be best to point out that, as the new culture of libre-design
hardware gains in popularity, such as those surrounding ARM, RISC-V,
and POWER9, that will tend toward more libre-design peripherals being
invented - that is most likely where the brightest outlook on the
future of mobile libre computing is to be found