[Dev] Parabola stance on game assets

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Fri Sep 28 19:17:02 GMT 2018

CC'ing back into the list beacuse I assume that was where you meant it to go

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 07:36:19PM +0100, pribib wrote:
> The primary purpose of youtube-dl is to obtain local copies of
> videos, music and images
>
> The primary purpose of a browser is to browse the internet which is
> significantly broader than the purpose of youtube-dl
>

> When thinking about where the line is drawn based on the primary
> purpose of the software, youtube-dl should be a consideration
>

> Program that accesses the internet and can download lots
> vs
> Program that is intended to download both free and nonfree cultural files
> vs
> Program whose only purpose is to download nonfree cultural files
>
> Consider at what level of this a program is considered to be
> recommending or endorsing non free cultural works

I see where you are going the but your premise seems flawed. You are failing to
recognize that the vast majority of content on websites is non-free. I can not
take a random picture from a website modify it and then claim it to be my own.
In fact most thing I do not even have the right to re-distribute at all.

So if you are arguing youtube-dl is mostly to access non-free works then so is
a browser, with very few exceptions. Even the FSF licenses many of their posts
CC-BY-ND. Thus not free.