[Dev] Parabola stance on game assets

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Fri Sep 28 12:42:45 GMT 2018

On Fri, 28 Sep 2018 08:31:29 -0300 Freemor wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 04:10:20AM +0100, pribib wrote:
>  [...]
>
> I see no freedom issue with youtube-dl as the user MUST supply the
> link of what to download.
> Basically If we patch youtue-dl not to pull
> from non-free sites then we MUST (to be consistent) block ALL
> browsers we package from going to those same sites.

someone told me that youtube-dl has a search feature - that would be
a different situation - i assumed it was only for youtube like
minitube - the task would be significantly more difficult depending
onthe number of disparate services indexed - but even so, there would
be no need to block access to any servers, blocking the listings of
non-free media should be enough; but would require that service to
provide licensing details - probably simplest just remove the search
feature entirely

the one thing that leaps to mind about this is that the amount of work
required to rescue all such programs would be enormous - if such a
zero-tolerance policy were adopted it would most likely result in most
such programs being removed rather than rescued - and im not saying
thats a bad idea - but i am saying that the scope of that decision would
reach well beyond games or any other programs purely for entertainment
- if the goal is to 1) remove search or import capability, or 2) filter
  content, or 3) replace content, or 4) blacklist the entire program;
then to give that treatment to any one program would be a significant
task - but there are probably hundreds that would deserve it equally