[Dev] Fw: Parabola stance on game assets

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 01:37:00 GMT 2018

On 28/09/18 02:27, bill-auger wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 21:18:52 -0400 Josh wrote:
>> There is a difference between the act of aiding/abetting proprietary
>> stuff and the act of 'physically allowing' the user themselves, to go
>> out (themselves) to seek and use proprietary stuff.
>
> yes that is the gist of the FSDG as it relates to software - the FSDG
> does not make that distinction for data files though - it only requires
> those to be freely distributable such as "freeware"
>
> i think the suggestion here is to apply that same rigor to all data
> files as well, in the name of "free culture" - unfortunately, the
> standard "free culture" definition does not actually do that either -
> it actually does consider "freeware" to be "free culture"; which
> renders it quite hollow and redundant in the context of a distro that
> already adopts the FSDG standards

Well from a neutral stance, I would find it somewhat contradictory to
see a policy stating code has to retain the ability to be shared, but
not the data.

Probably know this, but Wikimedia & OpenStreetMap are example projects
which benefit from shared data.

Can say I honestly prefer Wikipedia to the encyclopedias which were before.

Josh