[Dev] Parabola stance on game assets

Adam Roberts pribib at bluehome.net
Wed Sep 26 22:05:46 GMT 2018

It is my understanding that if packages do not support free culture then
they should be removed from Parabola too, regardless of FSDG.

Warsow contains files that are licensed with CC BY-ND and these are
distributed with the package. https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1745

OpenRA has the ability to import "freeware" assets from the CD or
download them in game. https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Game-Content

OpenMW has been patched to remove the ability to import "nonfree assets"
from the original Morrowind disc.

 From the following page: https://labs.parabola.nu/issues/1745

"if it is distributable but not "free culture" then it should be removed
from parabola" - bill-auger

"parabola is not distributing them so there is probably no freedom issue
here" - bill-auger

"After a bit of wiki reading it seems that the FSDG allows this as long
as it is "non-functional data" Which all of these seem to be to me."
freemor

The fact that Warsow is permitted seems to suggest distributing nonfree
assets doesn't matter. OpenRA seems to suggest that nonfree assets are
fine as long as it is sourced outside of Parabola, but then OpenMW seems
to contradict this and suggest that even sourcing nonfree assets outside
of Parabola is discouraged.

These inconsistent and seemingly contradictory viewpoints makes it
difficult to report bugs correctly and use the OS as intended. What is
the Parabola stance on this?