[Dev] recent pbot bugs

bill-auger bill-auger at peers.community
Tue Sep 25 03:25:38 GMT 2018

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 11:26:51 -0300 Megver83 wrote:
> So I've to remove the double dots ":". Plus, it always returns:

that was the goal actually, to make the ':' character optional for the
target nickname - some clients do not add it, if the nick is not the
worst word on a line

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 11:26:51 -0300 Megver83 wrote:
> -pbot- Error: Not able to parse this command:

believe it or not, that is actually a feature, not a bug - theres a
config variable to disable it; but xylon had mutated the bot in a way
that bypassed the branch that sends that message, so it was not noticed
before

after becoming familiar with pbot's code, i realized that what he had
done was to ignore most of standard features the bot has (such as
factoids, last seen, reloading modules, adding new commands) and
instead he re-wrote those features and some new ones into a
single monolithic file that was re-sourced every minute - that file is
only 17KB; but depending on how BASH does memory management, that could
be a memory leak of 25MB per day (or 1GB in 40 days) - even if not, i
still think it should be refactored

essentially, pbot could be entirely replaced with that one script
feeding on an ii pipe - none of pbot's bot-like functionality was being
used until i created the spam filter module - what ive been doing since
then, is preparing to refactor the features out of that monolithic file
into proper modules as pbot was design to be used - again, pbot already
had many of those features standard; so thats mostly just a matter of
enabling them, and migrating the factoids from flat files into pbot's
sqlite db (currently unused AFAIK)