[Dev] GNOME Software, archlinux-appstream-data, and Flatpak

Freemor freemor at freemor.ca
Thu May 31 19:41:32 GMT 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 03:10:45PM -0400, Christopher Davis wrote:
> https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/basic-concepts.html#sandboxes and
> https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/sandbox-permissions-reference.html

The bad Cert doesn't fill me with confidence. But that aside Those just
re-itterate the party line

https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/wiki/Sandbox
https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak/wiki/Filesystem

And other links on that wiki have the kind of info I'm looking for and may be
of interest to Devs/Maintainers

> with commands like system apps. Instead of running `$ foo`, it would
> be `$ flatpak run tld.domain.foo`.

Good to know and explains a bit of my confusion. Clearly this is a very DE type
thing and I live on the CLI

> I will get more technical information to present regarding how
> sandboxing works.

After reading the above from the github wiki many of my "I'll make a mess"
fears are alleyed. I can still see ways thing can go wrong but those would
mostly be either pilot error or people not understand the sandbox things which
don't effect system stability.

Guess the big issue left is keeping it (the list of available flatpaks) libre.