[Dev] duplicate 'unarchiver' packages

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Mon May 14 16:58:14 GMT 2018

bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> writes:

> On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 11:52:31PM -0400, Megver83 wrote:
>> since both unarchiver and unar provide the same binaries, then unar
>> should be dropped
>
> On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 07:55 -0300, Freemor wrote:
>> I'd like to propose an "unar is replaced by unarchiver"
>
> yes these are both obvious solutions - i really posted this to see if anyone
> could explain the confused situation it is currently in
>
> * why the 'unar' package is not already named 'unarchiver'

i don't remember why, i think because unarchiver is the osx gui and unar
the cli program?

> * why the 'unar' package replaces('unrar') but that is an entirely different
> software
> * why the 'unar' package is in [libre] and not [pcr] although it is not modified
> from the upstream

because it was deemed a replacement for unrar, although it isn't a
drop-in replacement and i'm still baffled at why after so many years
free software projects keep using unrar instead of supporting unar (or
maybe they do and i don't use them?)

there should be a discussion about this on the list archive (or in our
irc logs)

but if it were to be dropped in favor of arch's package, please check
the blacklist and your-freedom include a replaces/conflicts with unrar
so when people migrated the package is offered for removal, like our
unar package did.

--
:>