[Dev] duplicate 'unarchiver' packages

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Mon May 14 16:00:01 GMT 2018

El 14/05/18 a las 09:32, bill-auger escribió:
> On Mon, 2018-05-14 at 07:55 -0300, Freemor wrote:
>> I'd like to propose an "unar is replaced by unarchiver"

How can we achieve that? we can't build an external package to do such
things like a manjaro-system thing, we just have to post a new in the
feed saying this

> yes these are both obvious solutions - i really posted this to see if anyone
> could explain the confused situation it is currently in
>
> * why the 'unar' package is not already named 'unarchiver'

I also wondered that

> * why the 'unar' package replaces('unrar') but that is an entirely different
> software

maybe someone confused "alternative" with "replacement"

> * why the 'unar' package is in [libre] and not [pcr] although it is not modified
> from the upstream

wasn't it at [pcr] at first?

> if no one knows how it got that way, can we at least agree that all 3 of those
> points are incorrect procedure

yes, that's right. Unless (regarding point 1) the package unarchiver was
added after adding unar in Parabola, which would explain the conflicts
array. No matter unar's history, I think we should remove it and write
about this in the news so that users know what happened.

--
~Megver83

SIP: megver83 at sip.linphone.org
XMPP: megver83 at jabjab.de