[Dev] [RFC] [nonsystemd] repository, packages built without systemd support

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Wed May 9 01:49:29 GMT 2018

El 08/05/18 a las 19:01, bill-auger escribió:
> yes - im sure i am misunderstanding
>
> so the [notsystemd] repo would allow access to all of the replacements
> for things that depend on systemd - like all of the *-openrc packages

I must first point out that *-openrc packages are init scripts.
[nonsystemd] would not offer initscripts, but rebuilt packages without
systemd support. For example, mkinitcpio:

Repository      : core
Name            : mkinitcpio
Version         : 24-2
Description     : Modular initramfs image creation utility
Architecture    : any
URL             : https://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : awk  mkinitcpio-busybox>=1.19.4-2  kmod
util-linux>=2.23  libarchive  coreutils  bash  findutils  grep
filesystem>=2011.10-1  gzip  systemd

This is the one we all use, but this is nonsystemd's:

Repository      : nonsystemd
Name            : mkinitcpio
Version         : 24-2.nosystemd1
Description     : Modular initramfs image creation utility
Architecture    : any
URL             : https://projects.archlinux.org/mkinitcpio.git/
Licenses        : GPL
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : awk  mkinitcpio-busybox>=1.19.4-2  kmod
util-linux>=2.23  libarchive  coreutils  bash  findutils  grep
filesystem>=2011.10-1  gzip  eudev

Exactly the same one as [core], but without systemd as a dependency but
eudev. It is also patched with Artix's nosystemd.patch[0]

> so what would actually happen when you install 'your-initfreedom'? -
> will it remove systemd and all of it's dependents? if so, then what
> would the user have for an init system? would it automatically install
> openrc? - if not, then that is a very dangerous package to install - if
> yes, then would one need to remove 'your-initfreedom' on order to
> install a different init system that is neither openrc nor systemd?

your-initfreedom would remove systemd and its counterparts, yes, *but*
in the post_install() and post_upgrade() there would be a warning saying
that you need to install an init provider (As of now, OpenRC/Runit).

Installing such package is equivalent to removing systemd without
installing anything else, this is why it is intended to be (optionally)
installed during or after the migration from systemd to another init,
otherwise the system will not boot.

I think that with the warning is enough, 'cause I really doubt someone
would be too distracted to ignore such thing. Anyways I can write a wiki
page explaining this with more detail, the procedure of installation and
precautions to be taken.

[0]
https://github.com/artix-linux/packages/blob/master/mkinitcpio/repos/core-any/nosystemd.patch

--