[Dev] Intellij IDEA includes User Agreement that revokes freedoms?

dllud dllud at riseup.net
Fri Jun 8 18:26:55 GMT 2018

Hi everyone,

I've just installed the intellij-idea-community-edition package and upon
opening Intellij it showed me the "JETBRAINS USER AGREEMENT". On it, one
can read:

>(B) You may not:
>(i) Rent, lease, reproduce, modify, adapt, create derivative works of,
distribute, sell, or transfer the Product(s);

Products is defined as follows.

> "Product" means any generally available JetBrains software product
identified by JetBrains as an individual developer tool, which is either
covered by Toolbox Subscription, or provided perpetually for free. For
the avoidance of doubt, the Product is not produced to the
specifications of the User nor customized through modification or
personalization, and is intended for mass distribution.

I am not fluent in legalese, but it seems that upon accepting this User
Agreement I would be relinquishing my rights to free software freedoms
number 2 and 3. I opted to decline and uninstall this package.

I would like you to take a look at this and consider whether this
package should be removed from Parabola.

Upon inspecting the PKGBUILD (
https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/intellij-idea-community-edition
) one can see that binaries are directly downloaded from Jetbrains' server.

I suspect that accepting this User Agreemen won't be mandatory if
compiled directly from the source available at
https://github.com/JetBrains/intellij-community
I will test this later when I find the time.

Regards,
David