[Dev] New Parabola mirror: ftp.acc.umu.se

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Sun Jun 3 20:48:46 GMT 2018

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 15:33:47 -0400,
Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2018, fauno wrote:
>
> > Niklas Edmundsson <nikke at acc.umu.se> writes:
> >
> >> Academic Computer Club (ACC), Umeå University, Sweden hereby announces
> >> the intent to provide a mirror of Parabola GNU/Linux-libre.
> >> ftp.acc.umu.se has 20 Gbit dedicated connectivity to SUNET, and enjoys
> >> excellent peering towards Europe and US via NORDUnet.
> >
> > that's awesome!  thanks!
>
> Appreciation is all well and good, but we're still not listed on
> https://www.parabola.nu/mirrorlist/all/ nor on
> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Get_Parabola ...

I'm sorry!  I missed this part of the email; I thought fauno added you
guys to the mirror list.  You should be in parabolaweb and the wiki
now, and the `pacman-mirrorlist` package pretty soon.

> Btw, the "standard" download links on
> https://wiki.parabola.nu/Get_Parabola seems to simply do round-robin
> between the available mirrors... While it offloads the main download
> server, it doesn't make full use of regional mirrors.

It's not quite round robin; it keeps track of last-sync information,
and only chooses from mirrors that have synced sufficiently recently
to have the requested file.  GeoIP is on the ToDo list though;
"// TODO: weight by geoip or something?" has been in the code ever
since the very first commit.

> Among the motivations for running ftp.acc.umu.se are the aim to
> provide excellent service to our region, so we strongly recommend
> using a geoip aware download redirector. Mirrorbits
> https://github.com/etix/mirrorbits comes highly recommended by many
> projects that we mirror.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look in to mirrorbits.

Once again, I'm sorry we dropped the ball on this!