[Dev] Get your backups! Hot off the press!

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Mon Jan 22 23:10:24 GMT 2018

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 20:15:42 -0500,
Freemor wrote:

> That sounds like an excellent idea. I'd love to pull those down and pop them on
> my NAS.

Thanks!

>  About how big are the back-ups in question?

Right now, about 20GB from winston, and 35GB from proton; 55GB in all.
We'll see how quickly that grows with the daily incremental backups.

>  Preferred method of grabbing them? rsync,scp,etc.

As I said, they're accessible right now over HTTPS.

    https://winston.parabola.nu/backup/
    https://proton.parabola.nu/backup/

Because files are immutable after they are created (until they are
deleted), there's no need for a complex protocol like rsync, though I
probably will add rsync at some point.

I pull them down with

    wget --mirror --continue --no-parent --accept=gpg https://winston.parabola.nu/backup/ https://proton.parabola.nu/backup/

>  Rate limiting preferences? So as not to overload server.

Please don't make more than 1 connection to a server at a time (don't
try to download things from the same server in parallel).

Since the files are chunked so that no one file is more than about
200MB, they won't cause the large-file long-running connection issues
that we've seen in the past with ISOs; so that's not a concern.

Since backups are taken daily, there's no reason to download more
frequently than that, but if nothing's changed, then it's also
downloading basically nothing, so there's no harm in it either.

>  Other things I've forgotten to ask that you want to add.

The `wget` command I gave above will download new backups and keep the
old ones in place; it will never delete any old backups.  When you do
go to delete old stuff, remember that it's pointless to keep an
incremental backup around if you don't also keep the previous full
backup, and all the incrementals in between them.

I tried to cover most everything in the original email.