[Dev] winston.parabola.nu outage

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Tue Jan 9 17:27:39 GMT 2018

Hi all,

You guys have probably noticed that winston.parabola.nu (the server
running wiki, repo, and git) is down.

Winston is graciously donated by 1984 Hosting, and I am working with
1984 to get Winston back online.

What we think happened:

  Yesterday, Winston was rebooted as part of 1984's response to the
  Intel CPU bug.  It did not come back online; SeaBIOS saying that
  there is no bootable disk.  It turns out that the first 0x210000 B
  (~ 2.1MB) of the disk are all 0.  We believe that this is the result
  of a crash that happened in November, but went undetected because
  Winston hadn't rebooted since September.

We believe that we can restore the partition table from a backup, and
get this worked out with no loss of data.