[Dev] dbscripts plan v2

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Mon Aug 27 16:39:06 GMT 2018

On Mon, 27 Aug 2018 03:14:02 -0400,
bill-auger wrote:
> this all sounds very sensible and lucid to me
>
> the one thing that jumped out at me was the part where some shell
> accounts logins were different from the username:

The discrepancy I spoke of there isn't between Parabola things, it's
between Parabola things vs personal things.

For example, on everything Parabola I'm "lukeshu", but my login on my
personal desktop is "luke".  Because $LIBREUSER is set based on $USER
or $SUDO_USER (see the conf.sh(3) man page), LIBREUSER=luke.  But of
course I need to log in to the Parabola servers as "lukeshu", so
"$LIBREUSER at repo.parabola.nu" won't work for me.

>                                                   in hackers.git -
> considering how we discussed automating the parabolaweb 'hackers' page
> and the redmine permissions based on pushes to hackers.git, it would
> sure make things most sensible to normalize all these logins to be
> consistent across services - in redmine for example, the value of
> 'login' will be the only way to auto-magically locate a user without
> an explicit table to associate the 'redmine' login with the hackers.git
> 'username'

Most of users that exist in both redmine and hackers.git have the same
username in both, if you ignore capitalization (hackers.git requires
usernames to be all lower-case), at least among active developers.

Redmine usernames are case-insensitive, so it wouldn't break anyone's
saved credentials to edit their username to be lower-case, if that
makes something easier.

Exceptions that I see:

 - redmine:smv -> git:sorin-mihai (was formerly smv in hackers.git)
 - redmine:g4jc -> git:gaming4jc