[Dev] dbscripts 2018425 / winston.parabola.nu upgrade

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Thu Apr 26 18:17:23 GMT 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 11:34:07 -0400,
Luke Shumaker wrote:
> ...................................  (While doing so, I noticed that
> systemd-timesyncd had failed, which will come up later).
>  2. systemd-timesyncd was failing to start, which blocked
>     time-sync.target, which blocked quite a bit of the system.
> So, having access to lukeshu@ again, I moved on to look in to
> systemd-timesyncd.  It seems that systemd-timesyncd-wrap (running as
> the systemd-timesync user) needed write permission to /run/timesyncd,
> which was owned by root.  IDK what changed to break it, yet.  I
> chowned the directory, and restarted the service.  So this fix is only
> until next reboot.

I don't know why it initially failed before the reboot.  But after the
reboot, the breaking change was that in systemd-235 it changed to
start as systemd-timesync with capabilities, rather than start as root
and switch users.

I've pushed a new version of ~lukeshu/systemd-timesyncd-wait-git to
fix this.

Starting with systemd 239, it will include
systemd-time-wait-sync.service, which will replace my
systemd-timesyncd-wait.service.  So there will need to be manual
intervention when that upgrade comes around.