[Dev] [RFC] OpenRC strategy

Megver83 megver83 at hyperbola.info
Wed Sep 13 02:35:55 GMT 2017

El 12/09/17 a las 22:19, Luke Shumaker escribió:
> I haven't really been a part of Parabola's OpenRC scene, but given my
> maintainership of notsystemd, I probably should be.

Yes, thanks for that :D

> I have a couple of issues with how openrc and friends are being
> packaged right now.
>
>  - I'm locked in to using openrc-init as PID 1.  OpenRC is designed in
>    a way that splits PID 1 ("init") from the system manager (yay small
>    modular programs!).  That means you can actually use it with a
>    number of different init programs, including sysvinit, busybox
>    init, and since OpenRC 0.25, openrc-init.  I should be able to use
>    any of those as my init--hell, I should even be able to use systemd
>    as my init.

That's true, in fact it used to work with SysV in Parabola. I'm
beginning to miss it :'(

>    I propose that openrc be turned in to a split package, something like:
>
>        pkgname=(openrc openrc-init openrc-sysvinit)
>
>        package_openrc() {
>          depends=(openrc-init)
>        }
>
>        package_openrc-init() {
>          depends=(openrc)
>          conflicts=(sysvinit)
>        }
>
>        package_openrc-sysvinit() {
>          depends=(openrc sysvinit)
>          provides=(openrc-init)
>          conflicts=(openrc-init)
>
>          install -Dm644 support/sysvinit/inittab "${pkgdir}/etc/inittab"
>        }
>
>    From there, there could be other [pcr] packages like
>    'openrc-busybox-init' to use busybox init.  These packages would
>    need to depends=(openrc), provides=(openrc-init), and probably
>    conflicts=(openrc-init).

Great idea, more options for PID 1, and one service manager.

>    Unfortunately, we don't have a good meta-package name to conflict
>    with other packages that provide /bin/init.

We could make one. Maybe 'initd'? or simply 'init'

>  - (not)systemd-udev should be a just as valid of a choice for udev as
>    eudev is.  In the past this was the case, via the udev-openrc
>    package.  If this package needs to be merged in to the notsystemd
>    package, I am fine with that.

I don't think it's necessary, BTW you could try to remove from
notsystemd what it's already in other projects (e.g. logind, as we have
elogind). But the idea I liked it.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes there are missing init scripts for
certain packages/services, fortunately available in Gentoo. I think that
I'll begin to add them in our PKGBUILDs later.

--
~Megver83
https://megver83.ga/

SIP: megver83 at sip.linphone.org