[Dev] merging the artwork git repos

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Fri Oct 13 01:53:07 GMT 2017

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 00:54:28 -0400,
bill-auger wrote:
> i added the new 'skwid' contributions in the 'artwork' repo as branch
> 'contrib/skwid' - that branch is a full clone of his upstream repo on
> github so that any future contributions can be merged easily with
> attribution

Thanks!

> there is also the 'pac' repo that contains the official artwork from
> 2015 - im not sure why there are two separate repos for artwork

Like many things, I'm convinced that the answer is "because a certain
former contributor hated me." :P :/

>                                                                 but i
> also merged the 'pac' repo into the 'artwork' repo as the official/2015
> branch - i did not want to delete the 'pac' repo myself but if anyone
> wants to delete the original it is just cruft now - you can verify it by
> checking out the 'artwork' repo and adding the 'pac' repo as a remote
> then `git fetch pac ; git diff pac/master artwork/official/2015`
>
> i also noticed that both the 'artwork' and 'pac' repos are listed twice
> each on the cgit front page - im not sure if that is intentional either

Well, first there was just artwork.git; simple enough.  Then we grew
pac.git.  To group those two together, the 'multimedia/' directory was
created.  But we don't want to break existing checkouts and links, so
symlinks from the original locations to multimedia/ had to be created.

The normal solution: have a phasing-out period where we plan to delete
one location; (1) we watch the nginx logs for hits to the "bad"
location, and get external links updated so that we stop getting hits
there, and (2) we make sure that all contributors know one location is
going away, and to update their .git/config URLs.

The better solution would be to configure our git server in a way that
the old https:// URLs redirect ot the new ones, and the old git:// and
ssh:// URLs still work.  I think all this would take is patching cgit
to hide symlink repos in the listing, and to redirect symlink listings
to their target; I don't think git-daemon or git-shell need to be
modified to make this work.