[Dev] Winston network usage

Josh Branning lovell.joshyyy at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 23:28:59 GMT 2017

On 29/11/17 23:14, bill-auger wrote:
> one thing that comes to mind is the large number of ISO files i have
> been uploading which are all being mirrored as they appear - the total
> size of all new ISOs is about 30GB (x6 mirrors = 180GB) so i would think
> that could not account for all the extra bandwidth but it is significant

If 1984 hosts more than one server and the received figure was for those
6 mirrors also, it would make sense.

If the figures are for a single server and not the mirrors, then it
wouldn't, as only ~30GB would have been received by that server in
relation to the ISOs.

That said the mirrors would have to download from the server, and ~180GB
is greater than the transmitted figure (109.52), which generally leads
me to believe the transfer quota figures aren't right.

> also that is not accounting for any users downloading them - as i
> mentioned in a previous thread, the wiki hyperlinks to all of the
> previous ISOs pass ?noredirect to repo.parabola.nu - i have since been
> adding the new beta ISOs without that flag but the new openrc ISOs which
> seem to be popular specify ?noredirect

But the issue isn't so much with what's transmitted from the server
(downloads), the bulk of the problem is in theory lots of data being
either requested or uploaded to the server ie. received (and then purged).

Josh