[Dev] Winston network usage

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Wed Nov 29 22:16:13 GMT 2017

Hi,

As you know, 1984 web hosting graciously donates the
winston.parabola.nu server.  They have assigned it a transfer "quota"
of 900.00 GB/month; we have transferred 1461.80 GB in the last month.
I assume what normally happens when you go over is you get billed;
since we have "Free service", that hasn't happened.  1984 hasn't said
anything to us about it, but I'd like to be courteous and stay within
the quota.

My first reaction was to suggest that we demote most of the mirrors to
be tier-2, and have them sync with tier-1 instead of with winston
(tier-0).  But, looking a bit closer at the control panel, it seems
that the bulk of it is winston *receiving* data:

     - Transfer quota:: 900.00 GB/month
     - Transmitted: 109.52 GB
     - Total: 1461.80 GB

Beside being rude to 1984/their other customers, that is alarming to
me.  I'd like to at least know what all that data is.  Someone (maybe
me) should look in to this in the coming days.