[Dev] It appears there is a new Libre distro on the block

Luke Shumaker lukeshu at lukeshu.com
Thu May 25 22:08:11 GMT 2017

On Thu, 25 May 2017 17:30:36 -0400,
jc_gargma wrote:
> In case anyone hasn't seen the new Parabola fork,
> https://www.hyperbola.info/
>
> Aside from the name similarity, it claims most of Parabola's members are staff
> using hyperbola.info email addresses.
> https://www.hyperbola.info/people/hackers/

Most of the people listed there are are former Parabola developers who
left the project last month after some internal drama.  The only
overlap with current Parabola developers I see are megver83,
gaming4jc, and heckyel.

> I'm not making any judgements, it just saddens me to see divided efforts.

Hyperbola seems to be trying to be an "LTS" Parabola, which is
certianly a thing that would be useful.  Past attempts to deliver this
for Arch-derivatives typically die out due to lack of dedication; were
anyone but André heading it up, I would suspect the same fate for it.
(IIRC, smv once tried to start such a derivative of Parabola, before
realizing that he didn't have enough time for either).

OTOH, it seems it be putting an emphasis on security.  TBF, I'm not
sure they have a team that I would trust to evaluate security patches.

Anyway, as far as they are trying to provide an LTS derivative of
Parabola, I wish them the best.