[Dev] [RFC] Splitting abslibre.git into branches

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Tue May 23 12:44:58 GMT 2017

Andreas Grapentin <andreas at grapentin.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 09:19:41PM -0400, Luke Shumaker wrote:
>> Without making any concrete decisions yet: What do you guys think
>> about splitting abslibre.it so that each package is on its own branch,
>> instead of having all of them side-by-side on the same branch?  There
>> would be no 'master' branch.
>
> I would vote against this change.
>
> branches in git are meant for tracking variations of the same content,
> not different content entirely. directories are the right tool for that.
>
> some more tangible points:
>
>   - I imagine having to switch branches every time I need to compare two
>     packages could become very tedious very quickly.
>
>   - it might become more difficult to review the list of recent changes
>     to all packages - currently a `git log` shows all history, while a
>     `git log path/to/package/` shows the changes for a given package
>
> what would be the benefits of the proposed change?

i agree, also the svn dir structure is awful, if they didn't change it,
every package has three directories with basically the same content, but
you have a directory per architecture and then a trunk dir for the
working pkgbuild, and some tools to move things around.  we flattened
this on abslibre.git explicitly so we didn't have to deal with this
structure :P