[Dev] [RFC] Splitting abslibre.git into branches

Andreas Grapentin andreas at grapentin.org
Tue May 23 05:52:22 GMT 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 09:19:41PM -0400, Luke Shumaker wrote:
> Without making any concrete decisions yet: What do you guys think
> about splitting abslibre.it so that each package is on its own branch,
> instead of having all of them side-by-side on the same branch?  There
> would be no 'master' branch.

I would vote against this change.

branches in git are meant for tracking variations of the same content,
not different content entirely. directories are the right tool for that.

some more tangible points:

  - I imagine having to switch branches every time I need to compare two
    packages could become very tedious very quickly.

  - it might become more difficult to review the list of recent changes
    to all packages - currently a `git log` shows all history, while a
    `git log path/to/package/` shows the changes for a given package

what would be the benefits of the proposed change?

-A

my GPG Public Key:                 https://files.grapentin.org/.gpg/public.key