[Dev] Drop linux-libre-grsec in favor of linux-libre-hardened

Luke g4jc at openmailbox.org
Thu May 18 22:25:13 GMT 2017

On 05/18/2017 09:35 AM, Andreas Grapentin wrote:
> what are the significant differences between grsec and hardened?
> if there are none, or they are negligible, I approve of this, assuming
> we come up with a good upgrade strategy for those who use grsec.
>
> -A

For now running LTS + grsec patches are more secure than the current
alternatives. I've reached out to grsec, but got no response.

Here's the comparison:
https://grsecurity.net/compare.php

Here's the behind the scenes drama, exposing a coup by Google employees
against Grsec team:
http://openwall.com/lists/kernel-hardening/2017/05/11/2

And here's a forked alternative, which may or may not be good, currently
in progress:
https://github.com/minipli/linux-unofficial_grsec/tree/linux-4.9.x-unofficial_grsec