[Dev] EOMA68 cards for the arm port - Was: the future of arm support

Bill Auger mr.j.spam.me at gmail.com
Wed May 17 13:57:40 GMT 2017

well after the flood of interest shown in the previous thread it seems
that once it comes down to the decision that not many are stepping up
- so i will try to move this forward

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 8:19 AM, fauno <fauno at endefensadelsl.org> wrote:
> who will be working on the arm port and wants to get an eoma68 card?

i agree with fauno here that rather than the original suggestion to
ask for a separate unit for everyone on the official team - the more
reasonable concern is: "who will actually need one?" - i myself, for
example, have offered to help with this but i am not among the
official developers so i see the original proposal as misguided - as i
mentioned when this first came up, i added myself and oaken-source to
the etherpad as potential packagers - i have seen no one else actually
say even that much let alone that "yes i will handle this package ...
and this package ..." - this should be the key discussion for the
moment

El 11/05/17 a las 17:10, Joseph Graham escribió:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the packages in ARM port come
> straight from Arch ARM?
> Maybe we just need 1 to see if Parabola works OK on it.

i add this point also because i have seen conflicting opinions on this
topic - to be clear, regardless of whether the packages "come from"
arch - that is only to say that the build recipes are unmodified from
the arch version but the actual binaries will be re-build by parabola
- yes? - some have said quite reasonably, that the actual packaging
should be done on the more powerful build server that already exists
for that purpose - others have said that arm packages should be built
on an arm device - my opinion would be that the EOMA cards would be
strictly necessary only for custom packages and debugging and
otherwise for verification purposes - but that it is more sensible to
use the build server for production

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 8:19 AM, fauno <fauno at endefensadelsl.org> wrote:
> who's closer to the eoma68's and can get them and re-mail them?

the answer to this is unclear to me - it seems that the company itself
is in UK and they are talking about a manufacturer in Taiwan - but
they are offering free shipping to customers in the US only - this
would imply that production shipping will originate from the US but
that says nothing of the initial prototypes that may be on-hand now