[Dev] Missing free firmware

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Fri May 12 04:03:30 GMT 2017

Alexandre Oliva <lxoliva at fsfla.org> writes:
> I'm afraid I don't know what this "linux-libre-firmware" you refer to
> is.
>
> The closest thing I'm related with, besides Linux-libre proper, is the
> Freed-ora package named kernel-libre-firmware, that contains the few
> pieces of Free firmware still distributed as part of Linux (and thus
> Linux-libre) tarballs, but I don't think that's what you mean.
>
> I suppose linux-libre-firmware is a parabola-specific package, but it
> could reasonably amount to just the Free firmware distributed as part of
> Linux-libre, rather than the Libre parts of the linux-firmware package.
> I'd name the latter linux-firmware-libre, FWIW.  Confusion might arise
> from an incorrect assumption about what linux-libre-firmware amounts to.
>
> carl9170 is indeed Free Software, to the best of my knowledge;
> unfortunately, the linux-firmware git tree doesn't separate Free and
> non-Free firmware.  I don't know of anyone who maintains a Free version
> of that repository, or of its releases (if there are any).  There's
> certainly an opportunity there for someone willing to make a
> contribution to the community: maintaining a Libre version of
> linux-firmware, that all Free distros could then adopt.

ah, i misread our pkgbuild[0] that downloads a linux-libre tarball from
fsfla signed by you, but i was in a hurry so i assumed it was a tarball
of deblobed linux-firmware, instead of just the firmware still included
in linux-libre :)

[0]: https://git.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/tree/libre/linux-libre-firmware/PKGBUILD

--
.oÓ)