[Dev] OpenRC groups - Was: linux-libre is not part of the base group anymore

reg_ at openmailbox.org reg_ at openmailbox.org
Sun Jun 11 11:11:01 GMT 2017

On 2017-06-10 23:15, Bill Auger wrote:
> i also noticed this week when working on the calamares installer that
> the kernel is not in the 'base' group - i had to require the
> 'linux-libre' package separately to complete a fresh install - this is
> reasonable though as there several kernels to choose from so the one
> in the base group would be superfluous for every other use case

This makes sense. If this is the approach we want to keep, the
installation guide should also be updated accordingly.

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Megver83 <megver83 at openmailbox.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> openrc-base only offers you the init scripts for services in the base
>> group, but not base packages, while base-openrc offers all the base
>> packages and OpenRC init scripts.

When migrating from systemd to OpenRC on an existing installation, the
base packages are most likely already installed. So it shouldn't hurt to
have just one group. Right?

On 2017-06-10 23:15, Bill Auger wrote:
> that is unnecessarily confusing

I agree.

>> El 10/06/17 a las 06:09, reg_ at openmailbox.org escribió:
>>> I was not aware that there was such a group, this is nice! I think we
>>> should mention this in:
>>> * OpenRC's wiki page (https://wiki.parabola.nu/OpenRC)
>>> * Somewhere in the installation guide
>>> (https://wiki.parabola.nu/Installation_Guide)
>>
>> Well thought!

I will do it, either later today or tomorrow.