[Dev] Calamares Installer (Parabola rebranded) almost ready

fauno fauno at endefensadelsl.org
Fri Jul 7 18:28:07 GMT 2017

bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> writes:

> but i should add that by installing a "canned" system in this way is
> exactly the opposite of the concern you raised yesterday like: "isn't
> this supposed to be a learning experience?"
>
> the "best of both worlds" approach that i described in the graphical
> ISO post would allow both the idiomatic "do it yourself" arch CLI
> install but without network connection

i wasn't thinking as a canned method, you'd still have to partition and
install+configure everything else from docs (conveniently put side to
side to shell).

what i was trying to describe was that the rsync method would be a
replacement for `pacstrap /mnt base`, that depends on internet
connection, nothing more than that :)

btw i just had to boot a parabola iso to recover from an emergency (for
some reason my machine crashed during upgrade and many libraries ended
up as empty files...) and discovered wifi-menu :P

i think everything else still applies though, sometimes i have to
install parabola and i decide i can't because internet is slow or
non-existent.

so, tl;dr:

* provide local copies of docs on the iso (install guide, dm-crypt, lvm,
  grub, etc) in several languages too

* two pane tmux by default with w3m/lynx on one and shell in another

* optional local pacstrap